In December 2005, Dóchas and People In Aid organised a meeting to identify issues and challenges in the area of managing human resources in the Development sector. This meeting was attended by a large number of Irish Development organisations, both members of Dóchas and non-members.
The group agreed that an HR Forum for Irish NGOs should be established. The purposes proposed for such a Forum included:
- To enable participants to touch base with each other
- To feed into and learn from other, non-Irish, networks
- To crystallise issues, to which 'service' organisations like DTALK and People In Aid can respond eg learning
- Be an information-sharing and learning environment
- Represent to government on proposed initiatives eg volunteering, rapid response
The group agreed to meet twice a year. A second meeting was held in May 2006, focusing on the implications of avian flu for development NGOs, methods of benchmarking employment conditions in the Development NGO sector and organisational policies for preventing and managing stress.