The European Year for Development has attracted a lot of media attention in the first six months:
Inside Out: Stories from a Developing World
The Irish Times Inside Out series - Stories from a Developing World has been one of the leading initiatives for the media coverage surrounding the European Year for Development in Ireland and it has been hugely successful to date.
In January the feature was one of the most read articles in the Irish Times Life section for a period of time. The January feature focused on UNICEF and its work in Zambia. It is a prime example of the storytelling that we hope to continue throughout the year. It is an opportunity for people from countries around the world to talk about their experiences, and share their thoughts on development issues. In January Josephine Pumulo told her story.
Born in the slums of Lusaka, Josephine Pumulo, put herself through school and is now one of Zambia’s 65,000-plus U-Reporters - a community that uses rapid SMS to provide adolescents and young people with counselling on sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS. This is her story:
Other articles featured in the Irish Times Inside Out Series as part of the European Year for Development:
- Zambia & UN- Snapshots from the Election http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/zambia-snapshots-from-an-election
- Naomi Linehan: 'Zambia to me is my childhood suspended in time' http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/zambia-to-me-is-my-childhood-suspended-in-time
- Kenya & Aidlink Why in Kenya menstruation doesn't have to mean an end to education for young girls http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/why-in-kenya-menstruation-doesn-t-have-to-mean-an-end-to-education-for-young-girls-1.2109507
- Nancy Naserian Simel: It took me eight months to discuss the issue of bleeding with my mother
- Silalei Shani Owour: I fight for African Development the best way I know how - through basketball http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/from-the-us-to-kenya-i-fight-for-african-development-the-best-way-i-know-how-through-basketball-1.2108576
- Meet the Irish-Kenyan clothing label competing with fast fashion: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/meet-the-irish-kenyan-clothing-label-competing-with-fast-fashion-1.2108618
- Zimbabwe & SERVE Giveth Mambo: I am writing my own future: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/the-female-mechanic-the-zimbabwean-story-i-m-writing-my-own-future-1.2145783
- Jennifer Toibin: You would see the lads thinking I couldn't do it: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/the-female-mechanic-the-irish-story-you-would-see-the-lads-thinking-i-couldn-t-do-it-1.2145823
- Siobhan Hughes on Working with SERVE:http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/inspiration-from-within-the-energy-of-the-people-working-for-serve-is-contagious-1.2145734
- The Dóchas Awards - Global Citizen of the Year Award and Most Innovative Programme Award: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/in-focus-the-dochas-award-for-innovative-programme-of-the-year-1.2251190
- World Refugee Day- GOAL's Barry Andrews' op-ed:
- Duer Thok (17): I don't know when I will be leaving: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/duer-thok-17-i-don-t-know-when-i-will-be-leaving-1.2255762
- Six months in to the European Year for Development, Hans Zomer asks the question: Could we be the generation to end poverty: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/opinion-could-we-be-the-generation-to-end-poverty-1.2277574
- Ethiopian Letter: Is it naive to think that we could finance for international development? http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/ethiopian-letter-is-it-naive-to-think-that-we-can-finance-for-international-development-1.2286195
- Indira, Nepal: I hope nobody has to go through the pain I went through-http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/indira-nepal-i-hope-nobody-has-to-go-through-the-pain-i-went-through-1.2291210
- Tran Thi Han: I became a woman with no job, no career and no fixed income- http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/tran-thi-han-vietnam-i-became-a-woman-with-no-job-no-career-and-no-fixed-income-1.2291215
- Penjani, Malawi: Every time I need money I have to request it from my mother-in-law: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/inside-out/penjani-malawi-every-time-i-need-money-i-have-to-request-it-from-my-mother-in-law-1.2291213
Other newspaper coverage:
- “Ireland can play key role in global sustainability, panel hears” (Irish Times, 22 January)
- “Higgins warns against fiscal policies threatening democracy” (Irish Times, 22 January
- Take off your clothes and join the fashion revolution : An interview with Carry Somers in the Irish Times fashion section
- Brussels conference hears EU must tackle world poverty http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brussels-conference-hears-eu-must-tackle-world-poverty-1.2250454 (Irish Times June 15th)
- Irish Examiner: http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/war-on-terror-is-folly-as-violence-begets-violence-308272.html
The Sunday Business Post: Article on the Dóchas conference on June 7th in Connected Magazine with photograph of the speakers - Mark Little and Kate Krukiel
- Emergency Magazine: A full page spread on the European Year for Development and its key messages published in the April edition of this nationwide magazine
Talking about development on TV3's Xposé:
Carry Somers appeared on TV3’s Xpose following the launch of the European Year for Development (Thursday 22nd at 6.25)
The show has an audience reach of 770,000 people. It appeals to a very different demographic and was a great way to engage them in development issues, which is key to EYD. Footage was played as well to compliment the interview and highlight the issues Fashion Revolution is tackling, in the context of the European Year for Development. Watch the interview here (can fast forward to 26.20): http://bit.ly/1D9iwtS
- Carry Somers also appeared on Newstalk’s The World in Motion, presented by Shona Murray: http://www.newstalk.com/worldinmotion
- A half hour interview with Hans Zomer about EYD on Newstalk radio, on the Moncrieff show with Sean Moncrieff. For 30 minutes Hans Zomer and Sean Moncrieff talked about EYD – this has an audience of 119,000 people.
- The ‘Google Girls’ who were ambassadors for the year and who spoke at the launch, appeared on The Right Hook on Newstalk at 5pm in a wide ranging 15 minute interview with George Hook. This is the prime slot of the programme.5-5.30pm is the highest listenership on drivetime radio and The Right Hook show has a listenership of 138,000 people
- Kate Krukiel appeared on The Right Hook on Newstalk Radio presented by George Hook (listenership 138,000 people)
- Breda Gahan appreared on Global Village on Newstalk Radio to discuss the Global Citizen of the Year award
- The Media Show on RTE Radio One March 29th
Hans Zomer and Gary Quinn of the Irish Times appeared on The Media Show, RTE Radio One on March 29th to discuss the European Year for Development and the relationship between development NGOs and the media. Listen back to the interview here.
- The Drogheda Independent ran a piece about Mairead McGuinness and the launch of the European Year for Development MEPs booklet. We hope to build relationships with other local newspapers and local media outlets over the course of the year.
- Dublin City FM: On the 19th February Hans Zomer appeared in a lengthy half hour interview on Europe Today on Dublin City FM 103.2 to discuss the European Year for Development and citizen engagement.
- Gorey GuardianMarch 23rdhttp://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/wexford-woman-is-global-citizen-of-the-year-31234687.html
- Wexford People 14th Aprilhttp://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/boolavogues-breda-on-global-citizen-of-the-year-shortlist-31144252.html
- May 5th - Near fm interview about the European Year for Development & Dóchas Global citizen awards
- May 10th - Dublin City fm interview about the European Year for Development and the Dóhas annual conference
- LMFM talks to Hans Zomer about the European Year for Development July 3rd 2015: http://www.lmfm.ie/Podcasts/Podcasts/Show?showalias=Late-Lunch#6905
- Interview on Near fm about the 2015 annual report on the Millennium Development Goals and Addis Financing for Development Summit- Hans Zomer speaks to Darren Prior- http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCbTZZNKnhU
Irish language interview: Fiona Coyle from Dóchas about it and about the history of the MDG's and about the post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals (2016-2030) process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPEhEb4_pk
- REGULAR MONDAY RADIO SLOT: THE WORLD’S BEST NEWS:
Every Monday morning Hans Zomer appears on local radio station Galway Bay fm for a regular World's Best News slot in conjunction with the European Year for Development. The topics range from ethical clothing made in Africa to Fairtrade Fortnight, to what happiness really means around the world. Every week this slot aims to show that there is good news to report when it comes to global development. This amounts to between 10-15 radio slots since the start of the European Year for Development.
Blogs and Online Media:
- European Movement Ireland: February 2, 2015 – European Year for Development: http://www.europeanmovement.ie/just-the-facts-european-year-for-development-2015/
- Dublin City Architect's blog entry on The European Year for Development: Dublin City Architect’s blog.
- Droichead Youth Online Feb 25th – European Year for Development Launch: https://droicheadyouththeatre.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/storming-the-castle-dyt-meets-dochas-pocus/
- International Trade Union Magazine February 19th – European Year for Development: http://www.ituc-csi.org/why-european-year-for-development
- President’s Ethics Initiative Blog March 29th: https://charityandjustice.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/in-gratitude-to-our-president/
- Hans Zomer writing about the International Day of Happiness and SDGs in thejournal.ie http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/international-day-of-happiness-1998528-Mar2015/
- Yeah!English Magazine May 25th: The European Year for Development in Ireland: http://yeahenglish.net/?p=663
- Charity and Justice Blog 29th March https://charityandjustice.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/in-gratitude-to-our-president/
- NYCI Media Competition – encouraging a youth voice on development issues: This is a joint initiative through Dóchas, the National Youth Council of Ireland and the European Commission which is broadening the reach of the European Year for Development to universities and youth groups across the country.
- Telling powerful human stories: Are NGO’s and the media missing an opportunity to tell engaging stories about global issues? How to get Ireland talking about the global at their local Date: Friday March 27th
- The Dóchas Code of Images and Messages Conference- how do NGOs communicate messages with respect and dignity through the media