In September 2000, world leaders agreed a set of goals for the international community, to bring along a world in which sustaining development and elminating poverty would have the highest priority.
The goals were based on agreements and resolutions of world conferences organsied by the United Nations in the 1990's. The goals are commonly accepted as a framework for measuring "development" progress. Click here to read the Millennium Declaration
The goals establish yardsticks for measuring results, for developing countries and rich countries alike. The first seven goals are mutually reinforcing and are directed at reducing poverty in all its forms. The eighth goal is about the means to achieve the first seven.
By the year 2015, all 191 UN member countries have pledged to achieve these goals.
Ireland and the Millennium Development Goals
- Poverty is not history but goals brought focus) Irish examiner, (11 Sep 2013)
- Priorities for the fight against Poverty
- UN Goals promote capitalism and ignore equaity (by Niall Crowley)
- A Stock-Take of the MDG Summit (Dóchas)
- Dochas position paper for the 10 year review of the Millennium development Goals: Supporting Accelerated Progress on The Millennium Development Goals: Supporting Accelerated progress on the Millennium Development Goals (August 2010)
- The Time is Now - Ensuring Development for All: Disability and the Millennium Development Goals
- Irish civil society's priorities for the post 2015 global development agenda
- Joint statement of child-focused agencies on the post - 2015 High Level
- Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in a just world
- Reaching the MDGs 2.0: Rethinking the politics (World Vision)
- Where Next for the MDG's - Discussion Document - January 2012
- Event Report - Where next for the MDGs - Trociare, Ireland
- Beyond 2015 (beyond2015.org)
- Dóchas submission to EC Publication: "Towards a post - 2015 development framework"
- EU Contribution to the Millennium Development Goals (2013)
- Millennium Development Goals: 2012 Progress Chart
- The Millennium Development Goals: 2012 Progress Chart
- Millennium Development Goals: At a Glance
- UN SG report - keeping the promise: a forward looking review to promote an agreed action plan to achieve the MDGs by 2015
- United Nations Millennium Declaration
- Toolkit for civil society organisations: Influencing the EU on the Millennium Development Goals (Bond)
- Millennium Development Goals: A critique from the South (Pambazuka News)
- The Millennium Development Goals
- List of indicators to measure MDG achievement